November 24, 2020, 17:37:18

Author Topic: Keith Vaz  (Read 4517 times)

Offline Elrond

• Lord Elrond
  • Administrator
  • Grumpy old man
Keith Vaz
« on: September 04, 2016, 21:11:07 »
I see the @bindelj and @RachelRMoran are really celebrating Keith Vaz being caught with two sex workers.   Keith Vaz is / was the chairman of the Home office select Committee who has called for decriminalisation of sex work and have had some harsh words to say about the Nordic Model.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/married-mp-keith-vaz-tells-8763805

I hope this is not too much of a set back on what was a surprising result from the Select Committee.

I tweet from Brooke Magnanti (Belle de Jour) who was asked by the committee to give evidence.

https://twitter.com/belledejour_uk/status/772514379921227781
Elrond

Offline toby88

• Emerald Member
Re: Keith Vaz
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2016, 07:20:28 »
I see the @bindelj and @RachelRMoran are really celebrating Keith Vaz being caught with two sex workers.   Keith Vaz is / was the chairman of the Home office select Committee who has called for decriminalisation of sex work and have had some harsh words to say about the Nordic Model.

Says it all...

Offline Lord Glenmere

• Board Moderator
  • Beyond Help
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2016, 15:55:11 »
He is my local Member of Parliament the local press / media thrill at the good members antics!

Offline toby88

• Emerald Member
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016, 16:38:25 »
And there was me thinking… (in my younger naïve years) that all Members of Parliament were upstanding citizens with the highest moral standing within their communities… who only had their constituent’s best interest at heart.

Good… I’m glad we’ve got that sorted out  :)  :D  ;D

Offline Lord Glenmere

• Board Moderator
  • Beyond Help
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016, 17:54:18 »
The one we enjoyed most was pics in the local paper with him wearing a Leicester City scarf last year, It was brand new just out of the wrapper and being worn in such a way that it was clear that he had never worn a scarf ever and a researcher had popped to the local sports shop for it!

It summed up everything about the guy

Offline Elrond

• Lord Elrond
  • Administrator
  • Grumpy old man
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 23:35:43 »
I hope is antics (though not breaking any laws) has not put the case back for decriminalisation.  Reading this article by Brooke Magnanti would suggest that there was too much coincidence between him being outed and the launch of the next lets criminalise clients in the Scottish party.

https://medium.com/@belledejour_uk/keith-vaz-does-not-matter-1cef405b0936#.utfrldjha
Now ask yourself, why was the Vaz story released one day after the lobby that tried to bring Swedish model to Parliament launched it again in Scotland? Could it be the same reason why the same cabal of people slapped a nuisance libel suit on me the day my book The Sex Myth was released? Could it be that the evidence so clearly supports decriminalising prostitution, they have to resort to monstering people to make headway? The well-funded interests making money out of anti-sex work, anti-trafficking panics don’t like competing data, so they go for the low hanging fruit: sex scandals. And y’all bite when this kind of derailment happens. You fall for it hook, line, and sinker.

I would also suggest a read of this blog post from the nordicmodelnow.org website.  This post from July 1st which suggested that there were members on the committee who are sex buyers.

https://nordicmodelnow.org/2016/07/17/response-to-the-home-affairs-select-committees-interim-report-on-prostitution/

It is notable that there is no mention of whether the members of the committee are or have been sex buyers. It is clear that this is a common male behaviour and the majority of the committee members are male, and so it is statistically likely that some of them are or have been sex buyers.

The inquiry had a brief to consider whether buying a person for sex should be criminalised. Being a sex buyer or having a history of sex buying is therefore a clear conflict of interest. We believe there is a strong case that members should formally declare whether they are or have been sex buyers and if so, to step down from the inquiry.

It makes you wonder.  >:(

Elrond

Offline toby88

• Emerald Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2016, 12:15:53 »
I ‘used’ to think… (note I said ‘USED’) that those in a position of responsibility and moral obligations were of the highest standing.

I’m very grateful… I now understand the world somewhat better… and those who supposedly think their in charge.

My attitude is… if you’re in the public eye… (where people have an expectation of you) AND… you’re the 'Chair' of the ‘Home Affairs Select  Committee’… you Really Should THINK… about what you do.